Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Customer Service

We all talk about it. We all sell it. We all claim to have the best. Customer Service - what is it really? Very simply stated, customer service is “whatever it takes to make the customer feel special and satisfied.” Customer service is more of a feeling on the part of the customer and an attitude on the part of the sales person than it is something tangible.

Let me give you an example. I spent the past week as a guest at the Excellence Resort on the Mayan Riviera. One night we dined at the Lobster House, one of eight gourmet restaurants at the resort. They only serve lobster and shrimp at the Lobster House. My daughter doesn’t like any kind of seafood, so I asked the hostess if it would be possible for my daughter to order her dinner from the Grill Restaurant next door. The hostess leaned close and whispered into my ear, “Don’t tell anyone else, because we are not supposed to do it, but for you, we will bring your daughter a menu from the Grill.”

I’m sure that I’m not the only guest she has told that to, but she made me feel special and completely satisfied my desire. For me, that was excellent customer service! I spent a whole week with similar excellent customer service experiences. I wasn’t given any more than any other guest, but the way they made me feel, and their attitude of wanting to please was about as close to perfect customer service as I have ever experienced.

Remember these few key concepts and you too will provide excellent customer service:
  1. Make the other person feel special.
  2. Seek to find ways to please your customer.
  3. Find joy in pleasing others.
  4. It may take effort on your part, but it is worth it.
  5. Customers that feel special RETURN OFTEN!